Do not gently into that good night...

How could it be different,
When we have always been at war.
Nothing else has ever been,
Nor could be anymore.

Those grey dawns are so fleeting,
So easy to lose touch,
And I haven't been too grateful,
Or helped you very much.
I wish that I was better,
in everything I do.
But I will try much harder.
I wont surrender you.

If only it was easy,
like it used to be before,
To wake up in the morning,
And not be dressed for war.
I know the me that you hate,
And trust me, I hate him too.
I wish I could destroy him,
But he's hanging onto you.

The me that brings the grey dawn,
The me that starts the war,
I wish that we could bury him,
And carry on as before,
But no matter if we lay down arms,
He will still be there,
With his grimacing reality,
His fixed and evil stare.

I wish that I could promise
that I will always treat you right,
But I know just like you do,
This only lasts till the next fight.
So Im fighting my last demon,
Im fighting him for you,
Dont get caught out like I did,
Or surrender to him, like I do.

I hope one day the sun will rise,
And We will fight no more,
But I will no longer hide him,
Behind my cellar door.

I just want you to remember,
As we drag out our war
And the casualties mount up,
And we cant fight anymore,
That no war is worth losing,
Unless you dont know what its for,
And we wouldnt have begun at all,
Unless we are worth fighting for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your poems =)

Anonymous said...

so do I )

sebia said...

good one nick..way 2 go

{illyria} said...

killer last line. but then that is always the way to go.

Akashla said...

If casualties are piling up,
And reasons are as well,
If excuses are now fading,
It's time to break the spell.

But if its worth the battle
And excuses are strong still,
Then face this fight together,
As one, you have the will.